June 22, 2017

If I Were The GM

I hate when a year or two after the fact people say they would’ve drafted this guy instead of this guy. It’s too easy. So I decided to pick along with GM Ted Thompson and make my selections right before he made his. These were my picks:

Round 2 (#33): The only cornerbacks I would’ve taken at this point in the draft were Ohio State’s Marshon Lattimore, USC’s Adoree’ Jackson and LSU’s Tre’Davious White, and they were all off the board. I completely understand why Thompson opted for the greater need and grabbed Kevin King, but I think Florida State’s Dalvin Cook will be a truly special player, and that’s very difficult to pass up in the second round.

PICK: RB DALVIN COOK

Round 2 (#61): Chidobe Awuzie was my target here, but Dallas stole the cornerback from Colorado at 60. I’m intrigued by the choice of Josh Jones, but Kansas State’s Jordan Willis was a better player in college and has a chance to be a big-time pass rusher. Those guys aren’t normally around late in the second round.

PICK: OLB JORDAN WILLIS

Round 3 (#93): Montravius Adams was a good value pick at 93, but I couldn’t let day 2 end without selecting a corner. The best one left was Cordrea Tankersley of Clemson. Did I wait too long? Perhaps, but when push came to shove, I wasn’t willing to lose out on Cook and there were no corners worth taking at 61.

PICK: CB CORDREA TANKERLEY

Round 4 (#108): I thought Auburn edge rusher Carl Lawson was a second round pick heading into the draft, so I wasn’t going to pass him up at this point. His long history of injuries might’ve made him too big of a gamble on day 2, but it’s well worth rolling the dice in round 4. It’ll be interesting to watch and see whether the less talented but much cleaner Vince Biegel has a better career in the National Football League.

PICK: OLB CARL LAWSON

Round 4 (#134): Thompson needed to add a running back and he chose Jamaal Williams. I didn’t need Clemson’s Wayne Gallman but couldn’t pass him up. This was simply a matter of taking the best player available, and as will be the case with Biegel and Lawson, it’ll be interesting to see which back has the better career.

PICK: RB WAYNE GALLMAN

Round 5 (#175): The only pick on day 3 that I didn’t really like was DeAngelo Yancey. He’s a decent prospect, but the fifth round seemed a bit early. The Packers bought time at right guard by signing verteran Jahri Evans, but they’ll need a long-term replacement in a year. Danny Isadora of Miami could be that guy.

PICK: OL DANNY ISADORA

Round 5 (#182): I really liked the pick of Aaron Jones, but there’s no need at running back with Cook and Gallman already on board. So with Brett Hundley likely to be moved after the season and Joe Callahan nothing more than a No. 3, it makes sense to grab Miami’s Brad Kaaya, who could be pretty good with quality coaching.

PICK: QB BRAD KAAYA

Round 6 (#212): I drafted a raw but talented interior offensive lineman earlier so there was no need to double dip with Kofi Amichia, especially with LSU’s Malachi Dupre still on the board. I was disappointed when Thompson didn’t take the acrobatic wide receiver from LSU – until about an hour or so later when he did.

PICK: WR MALACHI DUPRE

Round 7 (#238): Thompson took a third running back in Devante Mays, and I took a third outside linebacker in Carroll Phillips. A team can never have enough pass rushers, and I considered the former Illinois star to be one of the top “under the radar” prospects heading into the draft. He’s a steal at this point.

PICK: OLB CARROLL PHILLIPS

Round 7 (#247): Thompson grabbed wide receiver Malachi Dupre, whom I had already chosen in round 6. Youngstown State’s David Rivers is an interesting prospect. He’s not as tall or as fast as King, but he’s got better short-area quickness. I could envision him being a useful slot corner and a core member of special teams.

PICK: CB DAVID RIVERS

One more thing, if I were truly the GM, I would’ve traded up in the second round to ensure getting Awuzie. I would’ve gladly sacrificed a day 3 pick to get a player I very well might’ve taken at 33 had Cook not been there.

Tags:

20 Responses “If I Were The GM”

1. JK60
    May 2, 2017 at 11:33 am

Really like the concept and content of this post.

Like your approach to go blue chip players that played well in college and have strong metrics at the most impactful positions. Will be interesting to see how both set of picks turn out in the next few years. Think TT went for the RB trifecta to cover for not taking Cook. Disappointed to see him go to MN.

Could you repost your prior years draft assessments like this one? Would love to see the comparison now.

2. Michael Rodney
    May 2, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I’ve done this for the past 5 or 6 years, but I can’t access the posts from the old site. Here’s last year’s, although it’s obviously too soon to know anything.

3. May 2, 2017 at 12:15 pm

But you`re not an NFL GM! As Mike McCarthy once said everyone likes to play GM at this time of the year. By the way, why is Carl Lawson “more talented ” than Vince Biegel? Because Biegal is white? He had the best short shuttle/ 3 cone drill of all the LB`s.

• Michael Rodney
      May 2, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for letting me know I’m not a GM. Now I won’t show up at 1265 Lombardi Avenue tomorrow.

Why is Lawson more talented? Because, IMO, he’s stronger and more explosive on tape.

4. Jake
    May 2, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Would you have traded out of the first round like TT did, or would you have taken Cook or maybe even Reuben Foster at 29?

5. Bryan
    May 2, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Looking forward to following this post year to year. Cook and Mixon were missed opportunities IMO, although I can understand why they passed.

6. BEN PEARSON
    May 2, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I really like your hypothetical draft board and I agree with you I think Dalvin Cook could really be a stud in this league, (there was a large part of me that really hoped the Packers would pick him) but I also think your draft board makes little to no sense at all for the Packers.

Can we agree on the biggest need for the Pack this off-season was secondary help/pass rush (the 2 really go hand in hand)? The first CB off your board was in the 3rd round then again in the 7th round. So what is your objective there? Are you assuming Randall and Rollins will take steps forward, or Davon House who was cut by the non-contending Jags will be a lock down CB? I just struggle a draft that, at it’s core doesn’t address any true needs.

Let me put it to you this way, what was more detrimental to our team last year, our lack of RB depth, or our secondary? We finished top 10 in total offense last year and were 31st in passing defense. With Aaron Rodgers you simply don’t need a great running game I think he’s proved that. So while a really good RB is nice, he’s not as valuable on a team who excels so efficiently through a pass heavy offense. We didn’t have any RB’s close to 1000 yards last year but that didn’t effect our overall offense.

If I were the GM. I would’ve traded away picks and spent money in FA for some top CB help to address our most basic need (like the Pats did).

• Michael Rodney
      May 2, 2017 at 2:23 pm

I thought I explained my thought process pretty succinctly. I went with the best player (by far, IMO) at 33 and picked up two potential big-time pass rushers in Willis and Lawson. I wasn’t willing to take a lesser player (King, IMO) at 33 just to fill a major need. There’s no right or wrong – at least not today.

7. Sarahfar
    May 2, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Cook is a huge character risk with multiple flags and bad assn. Cook also has serious flags with his shoulder. Now if you remove the video and politics of it clearly there might be a argument for Mixon as the BPA and I would probably accept that. But I would just say absolutely no to Cook and his posse. The word is they didn’t like Willis and while he had an excellent combine, as lineman at KSU the tape doesn’t show explosion or that athleticism.

As to Tankersly softest corner in the draft. Hates contact and plays scared. I absolutely wouldn’t touch him.

I have my issues with Ted, but think King was an incredible pick. Jones was excellent. Adams if they can coach him could be a steal. No issue and see no reason to second guess Ted day 1 or 2. I get your point, but don’t like your picks at all.

8. Sarahfar
    May 2, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Keep in mind we get bits and pieces on the medical, drugs, and background. I would reiterate, Cook when you take those into grade impact would not be the BPA it might well be Mixon.

May 2, 2017 at 3:50 pm

BP-257,
    What a foolish post. What point were you attempting to make? That fans shouldn’t have opinions? As I posted previously here and for years elsewhere, posting the players you would have taken is the fairest way to later criticize a team’s draft. Much better than waiting until mistakes are obvious to everyone. BTW, if you are insinuating Biegel is better than Lawson, are you playing GM? And what’s with the ridiculous racist comment?

10. Koby
    May 2, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Thank you, TJV! Nice post. We all are sitting at home hoping TT will pick a certain player left on the board when the Packers selection comes around. That’s part of the fun!

I would have taken Watt in the 1st. Then I would have traded up and went after Awuzie in the 2nd. Good value of Adams in the 3rd, but I may have used that pick to move up in the previous round. Then I would have grabbed Sooner RB Perine in the 4th. 5th round I would have addressed the guard position. After that I would have looked for a WR and probably BPA to fill out the roster.

And to bolster our CB’s, I would have pursued Gilmore or Bouye during free agency.

11. Sarahfar
    May 2, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Make no mistake I am not a Ted apologist, and most have different opinions. That isn’t the point. They have all the medical reports, the top professional backgrounds and have watched all the film on these guys. They went to their workouts and all the rest. Yes I and many others have watched some film, not highlight videos, but not many have watched 1% of what NFL scouting departments do.

While I personally may have liked Carroll Phillips 32 teams said no thanks at least 7 times. Why not hope there is no reason to want revisit in this several years. Any draft can be second guessed, but there’s more to this game than we arm chair experts think.

12. Jeff Farrell
    May 3, 2017 at 9:44 am

I like your thought process on the draft and I really wanted Cook as well. I think Ted’s draft flowed really well by addressing the secondary early on. Your third round selection seemed like a need pick and really prevents the Packers from addressing the secondary this year unless they signed another free agent. Waiting until the fourth round to address the Packers running back need was smart because it gives a chance for Ty to step into the starter role and frees up higher draft picks for premier positions (CB WR QB LT OLB).

13. Ryan
    May 3, 2017 at 9:52 am

Kobe your scenario isn’t that much different. they took the better cb in king over awuzie (in their mind) and got beigl who a lot of people think is pretty close to watt and you didnt have trade any additional picks away.

bouye at 13.5 mil and gilmore at 13 mil…… woof no thanks can think of a lot of much smarter ways to spend that fortune.

14. Koby
    May 3, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I didn’t have a major issue with TT’s selections. Definitely see that scenario wasn’t so different. My biggest wish was getting Perine in the 4th, but it wasn’t Ted’s wish.

I know that’s a lot to spend on either Bouye or Gilmore, but I took Rodger’s “all in” comment to heart and I would have pulled the trigger. Ted claims he doesn’t want a free agent coming in with a huge contract and upsetting teammates. I figured there isn’t a corner in GB who could whine about not getting the big bucks! Lol.

15. May 3, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I like your draft much better. I think it’s really going to come come back to haunt the Packers that they did not take the most explosive player in the draft and then he goes to a division rival. I hope I’m wrong but the tape doesn’t lie. Cook is an absolute stud.

16. Ryan
    May 3, 2017 at 4:56 pm

If I knew I was getting a really good and dependable player for the type of money bouye and gilmore signed that would be one thing but those guys could easily be brandon browner and byron maxwell type signings too. Those type of signings can’t hurt you for multiple years if they don’t work out.

I think everybody thinks cook has very good upside but GB is not a RB away from winning it all. They needed more play makers on the defensive side of the ball. That is not a high value position anymore. I can live with cook being a stud if the guys we drafted produce and help make the defense better.

17. Deepsky
    May 5, 2017 at 10:00 am

The only person outside of the NFL who actually did a good job of predicting NFL talent was Joel Buchsbaum.

Even the NFL GMs followed what he had to say, followed his draft guide, and many tried to get him on their staffs.

• Michael Rodney
      May 5, 2017 at 11:52 am

Buchsbaum was the best. His advantage, aside from an astute eye, was being able to study players fulltime. Very few people outside the NFL have that luxury.